Attention -- Row!

I've enjoyed rowing for several years now, so when some friends entered Oklahoma City's annual Stars and Stripes Regatta, I drove out to enjoy the day with them.


The skyline is dominated by the Devon Tower, and the boathouse to my right is the Devon Boathouse.


Here they come!


Coming up to the catch ... One of the rowers on this crew is blind.


I guess he's racing in the singles bracket?


 
A few folks brought their hounds with them, and one gentleman brought his peregrine falcon. I asked what he hunts - duck. Looking at the Wikipedia entry, I see that historically the peregrine was actually called a duck hawk in the US.

All in all, a good summer day at the Oklahoma River. I guess it's only appropriate to finish with some home-grown red dirt country.


14 comments:

Grim said...

Don't worry that you've broken the code. Last week was the worst week I can easily remember. We can forget about it, and move on to Independence Day.

I have a friend who is a falconer. Back during the 90s I thought about joining a crew of rowers, but they met to row at 5 AM. The only reason to row at 5 AM is if you're a Viking trying to sneak up on somebody.

Tom said...

I am kinda worried about the rest of the blog disappearing when I posted this. Afraid of snakes, maybe?

Last week's Supreme Court rulings? Or something else?

I've always wanted to fly raptors, but not enough to actually devote the time to it. I decided long ago to enjoy other people's birds.

Grim said...

Not afraid of snakes. The good ones I use for rats. The bad ones I use for meat.

MikeD said...

Ooh! Now I want to hear your rattlesnake recipes!

Grim said...

Butter, salt, and a bit of paprika.

Grim said...

(Although it doesn't have any snake recipes, I do recommend The Complete Hunter series' Dressing & Cooking Wild Game.)

ColoComment said...

Have you read "The Boys in the Boat"? Wonderful story about the U.S. 8-man crew at the 1936 Olympics. Sort of a blend of "Unbroken" and "Seabiscuit."

Tom said...

"Not afraid of snakes."

Well, not you, of course. The blog. Any idea why the rest of the blog disappeared that way? That's not normal when we change months, is it?

And thanks for the cookbook recommendation.

ColoComment, I hadn't heard of it, but I think I'll pick it up. Thanks!

Tom said...

Grim, Amazon has two books by that title. Is it the one by Teresa Marrone, or "Dressing & Cooking Wild Game: From Field to Table: Big Game, Small Game, Upland Birds & Waterfowl (The Complete Hunter)"?

Grim said...

It's the "Complete Hunter" one.

Grim said...

And no, I don't know why the blog did what it did. My guess is that it has something to do with the amount of large photos in the post.

Tom said...

Thanks.

Those 5 pics are just under 1 MB total. Hmm.

Tom said...

I cut the file sizes down to about 250 KB total. The Blogspot software is pretty buggy with this number of photos, though. It kept rearranging them for me. I wish there was much better control over the drag and drop for photos already in the software.

Grim said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's fine to leave the last weeks behind, as I said.