A Well-Earned Ale

Today I got up and lit my smoker before my first meeting. Over the course of the day, in addition to work, I smoked two whole Boston Butts and a beef Chuck roast. I also pressure washed the motorcycles and my deck, then waxed the bike, then made dinner out of some of the smoked meats. Then I broke the rest down and stowed it — three gallons of pulled pork alone.

Sierra Nevada has a brewery over by the airport, so we get their local stuff. I haven’t tried this one before. I’m pretty sure I have earned it, though, so I hope it’s good. 

4 comments:

Texan99 said...

Pork butt is my absolute favorite.

Anonymous said...

I've not noticed as many people around my neighborhood smoking meat or grilling this year. Usually, April through December, there are at least two or three smokers going every weekend, and people grill almost nightly. This year? One grill perhaps every other week, and two smokers per month? I wonder if it is a sign of the poor economy, and the high price of beef (but I repeat myself).

LittleRed1

Grim said...

Pork is up too, but it’s still (barely) under two bucks a pound if you catch a sale on whole Boston Butts. Normally I would smoke them one at a time, as it’s a week or so worth of meat, but this time I decided to fill the offset smoker and put a lot in the freezer.

Grim said...

That’s ok; people like what they like. Some benighted souls can’t appreciate beer at all.

It was fine. I tend to like all kinds of beer, but especially the strongly-flavored ones. I like porters, stouts and Scottish ales; but I also like pale ales, bitter, and even IPAs. I still like Pilsner or Kölsch, or for that matter a Pabst Blue Ribbon or a Yuengling. But I like the stronger tastes better, as I also like black coffee dark roasted or rich pepper sauces.