Freedom Barbecue

I'm going to smoke a pork butt for the Independence Day feast. 


I made some Christmas barbecue sauce given the significance of the occasion. This batch was thinned partly with coffee and partly with chicken stock, since I had plenty of chicken stock and not a great deal of coffee. I was also out of molasses, so I added extra dark brown sugar -- which, in commercial sugars, differs from white sugar only by the addition of extra molasses. That's now how it worked historically, but these days they render it all to white sugar and molasses, and then make light or dark brown sugar by putting some molasses back in. Cheaper and easier that way.

I'm also going to smoke some Andouille sausage tomorrow, and a snakeskin hat band I made after Conan's recent run-in. Only a little smoke for the latter, to help preserve and waterproof it. 

6 comments:

Christopher B said...

I'm planning Iowa recipe (Hy-Vee specifically) brats in several flavors and hot dog on the grill, potato salad (redskin and mustard), baked beans with added bacon and spice.. I had hoped for sweet corn to grill but none appeared locally.

Grim said...

A very solid choice. Hamburgers are good too, very American. After the heat breaks tomorrow evening, we might even have a bonfire and some good American beer.

DL Sly said...

If you'll soak that hatband in some strong tea, you'll not only get a nice patina, but it will take the smoke in more easily. Then, when dry, the tannins from the tea will stiffen and set the band into the shape you want.

Anonymous said...

Can you get pilloncillo sugar in your part of the world? It is old-style dark brown sugar, sold in cone-shaped blocks. I sometimes get it at the closest "Mexi-mart" when I want true dark sugar, but not molasses.

LittleRed1

Grim said...

I’ve never heard of that. Let me inquire.

Grim said...

I'll try that with the next one. I imagine there will be more; since that one rattler bit him up so badly, Conan has developed an intense and healthy hatred of venomous snakes. He can smell them now.