Prayers answered

This has been a busy dog-rescue week. I had no business taking in another dog, with 3 of my own and 3 fosters already, but the local rescue group took responsibility for a dog in my neighborhood whose "owners" couldn't keep him once he got flea infested and severely irritated their landlord, who didn't allow dogs in the first place. The young couple casually let him stay for the last 9 months after he wandered in during a storm, but I guess they don't know much about dogs. He's shockingly emaciated, every rib standing out, and has heartworms. After the current possessors relinquished him to the local rescue group, they took on the cost of his food and medical care, including plans to treat his heartworms, but won't have a place for him until next week, so I'm keeping him briefly. Lovely dog with lovely manners, no trouble at all.

On Friday, having posted a picture of him, we got word from a woman in a nearby town that she was sure he was her dog. She'd given him away two years ago to a friend of her son-in-law who had a large property and said he could give the dog a better life. Then the son-in-law's friend abruptly disappeared without a forwarding address. The rescue group, which has custody now, is deciding whether the original owner is an appropriate adopter, having once given him up so fecklessly. That owner really would like him back, and I hope she'll persuade the rescue group that she's a safe bet now. She has convincing pictures of him as a puppy and an adult. The dog, a Catahoula-Leopard-Chocolate-Lab mix, is down to 58 lbs. from the 120 lbs. he weighed when the original owner had him.

Also last week, what looked like a Labradoodle was spotted in my neighborhood but not caught up at the time. Word circulated on NextDoor, and because someone in town had found an eager foster mom for him [her, as it happens], I felt comfortable encouraging everyone to bring him [her] to me if he [she] could be induced to be confined. Early Friday morning, a neighbor jogging by my house encountered him [her] and slipped him [her] in my gate. Sadly, I didn't see the neighbor's text message until several hours later, and never caught sight of him [her]. I was afraid he'd [she'd] jumped the fence and moved on. Then a few minutes ago, late Sunday night, up he [she] trotted! He [she] must have been in my woods for the last three days, though I never saw any sign that he'd [she'd] found food that I left out for him [her]. He's [she]s safely ensconced in a kennel overnight with food, water, and a bed. Tomorrow his [her] foster mom will take him [her] . Surprisingly enough, he's [she's]not really emaciated, just a solid matted mess of fur. [Well, fairly skinny, though.] We'll shave that off and let him [her] start over.

5 comments:

Elise said...

Brava, Tex! And thanks for the reference to Catahoula-Leopard. I've seen those dogs my whole life in this area and never knew they were a specific breed.

Grim said...

It’s always nice to hear a story like this.

Texan99 said...

The Catahoula-Leopard probably should never have been as high as 120 lbs. In a week, he's gained 4 lbs., from 58 to 62 lbs. The vet is shooting for 90, but the mile-markers are 70 lbs. or so before they vaccinate him and 80 lbs. before they neuter him. He's already started on the 30-day pretreatment with Doxy and Pred that qualifies him to begin the two-month heartworm cure.

What a good dog he is. I never have to put him on a leash here on my property. Since the first day he got here, he's come immediately to my call. He gets along with dogs, cats, and people.

The Labradoodle turned out, upon inspection in daylight, to have an infected gash in the top of her head. The foster mom is taking care of it.

These are both little sweeties who should be easy to find homes for.

Texan99 said...

The Labradoodle turns out to have a fractured skull, but apparently it's just a hairline, because she's cheerful with a good appetite. There is an ugly abscessed wound on the top of her head, which now has a drain in it. I've added a picture of her post-shaving. She's awfully thin, but on the road to recovery now.

Elise said...

It was a lucky day for both those dogs when you found them, Tex - or they found you.