Examining One's Conscience

Dad29 pointed out in the comments to an earlier post that a regular examination of one's conscience is recommended by the Catholic Church. Now one of the things I have learned about the Catholic Church is that it tends to have formalized approaches to such things, and what the priests think you should be most concerned about is sometimes counter-intuitive for me. Something I may feel very bad about, for example, they dismiss as a mere accident where I have no real moral culpability; other things I don't feel especially bad about they consider major concerns where I should focus my attention.

I say that not as a criticism of the Church, but as a recognition that it can be useful to compare notes on where one's morals and conscience may be out of line with what others think they should be. Ultimately you are responsible for the state of your own soul, but a lot of thought has gone into this and a lot of human experience -- millennia, in the case of at least the Aristotelian parts of the Church's thinking, as well as some of the scriptural interpretations.  Therefore, I asked D29 for a resource we could look at and discuss.

There's a lot there, and some of it is specific to things like marital status, so I thought we might at least initially concentrate on one of the regular concerns that bring us all together here at the Hall: the public square. I notice at once that they subtitle this, "Loving one's neighbors in the public square," an area where it is immediately obvious that many Americans might consider their conscience.
When have I allowed that strong feeling to
cause me to say or think something unkind
about another person? Specifically:
• On social media: When has my engagement with
(or about) those with whom I disagree failed to
recognize their dignity as persons created in the
image of God?
• In conversations: When was I so focused on
winning an argument that I failed to genuinely
listen? When was my choice of words
uncharitable? When did I paint others in
disrespectful ways or engage in personal
attack?
• In my day-to-day perceptions and attitudes: When
have I made assumptions about or failed to
give the benefit of the doubt to those with
whom I disagree? When have I presumed
others’ intentions or experiences before even
hearing their stories or experiences? When
have I valued my political affiliation or party
more than my identity as a disciple of Christ
who is called to model love and charity, even
in civil discourse?
I have occasionally suggested that Twitter was disastrous to American public discourse, because its character limits were just enough to say something biting or snide but not nearly long enough to discuss an issue in depth. There's a broader point they're getting at, though, as to how we ought to behave towards each other in the public square.

3 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I thought it an excellent site. I have tried both the first and the last examples.

douglas said...

Interesting. Yet I am a firm believer that competition finds the best in things, or is the best sorter of what is best. This includes in the realm of ideas.
"• On social media: When has my engagement with
(or about) those with whom I disagree failed to
recognize their dignity as persons created in the
image of God?"

I would argue that being animated or even somewhat harsh may not be at all a failure to "recognize their dignity". I would be offended should someone think me beneath a good online squabble. Yes, brutality or harshness goes beyond that, but contesting strongly- to analogize- as one would in sport, say jostling in front of the net in hockey- I expect forcefulness and utmost competition in the moment- but then a willingness to shake hands at the end of the game. I think too many people take the forcefulness itself to be "undignified" or lacking a recognition of ones dignity. I think that's misplaced symapthy.

Texan99 said...

We have Christ's example of how to be forceful, truthful, and uncompromising while still recognizing human dignity. I'm not claiming to be any good at this, but I do try to test my conscience frequently when I find myself in quarrels. We are to forgive our enemies, not just when we think they weren't all that bad but also when we legitimately discern that they were unspeakably awful--otherwise what we really mean by forgiveness is not believing that the offense was all that bad, more of a technical infraction. When we're confronted with a sin whose horror we genuinely feel, it's easy to say, "Oh, now, THAT is unforgiveable."

Forgiving doesn't mean condoning, but it does mean not indulging in rancor or enjoying someone else's misfortune out of spite.

It's helpful to imagine that the person we're quarreling with is someone we care deeply about and would normally be tempted to excuse. If your darling had done this thing, would you be approaching the quarrel differently? Trying harder to look for extenuating circumstances, perhaps, or testing your sources to be certain you didn't get the story wrong?

Above all, online, I try not to personalize an argument. The quarrel should be about an issue or a policy, not an identity. There's a big difference between arguing that a proposed law will have an unintended or unjust effect and asserting that one's interlocutor must be a selfish, stupid, or hateful person for supporting it. No doubt sometimes he is a selfish, stupid, or hateful person for supporting it, but that's off limits.