A Less Glorious Outing

We had a call overnight that lasted 14 hours. A big storm left us pulling security for the electrical workers who were repairing the damage so two districts could get power back. It was necessary to completely close the only artery through this area for more than twelve hours, and that on a Saturday night when many people were traveling up or down the mountain while a little tipsy. 

On the upside, power has been restored and no electrical workers were hurt by crazy drivers crashing through their work zones after midnight. I had a chance to get to know one of the elders in the community, who had many interesting stories about his decades with the department of transportation, mountain foods he'd grown up with and recommended, and which creeks were good fishing. He kept coming back on foot all night because his family was trapped on the other side of the barricade, and he was worried about them. We had eyes on them, we just couldn't let anybody through all night.

I can't remember the last time I actually stayed up all night until dawn, which is an experience I remember more fondly from my youth. I think I might forgo it, as fate allows, for the future. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend from college 1.0 and I were talking about how easy it used to be to stay up until four AM solving all the world's problems, or listening to good music, then going to class at eight AM and being functional. Those days have passed, faster than we had anticipated.

During and after the Ice Storm of '07, the police chief asked everyone to stay home because of a combination of downed power lines and falling (plummeting) trees. I poked my nose out once or twice, but the crash of breaking and dropping limbs discouraged even my curiosity!

LittleRed1

douglas said...

It's definitely one of the downsides of getting older. I remember managing to get through a week in Architecture school where I had only 6 hours sleep over the seven days, trying to keep up with my project partner who was using pharmaceutical help to power through it. Now anything approaching an all-nighter ruins me for the next day.

Mike Guenther said...

I'm assuming hwy107 was the main artery? If so, drivers couldn't be detoured to Pine Creek and thusly down the mountain through Wilson Creek into Cullowhee? That's an even worse drive than 107, though.

Grim said...

No, up here it’s 281. Detours are possible, but arduous. Some drivers chose to wait all night instead.

Grim said...

Now anything approaching an all-nighter ruins me for the next day.

Fortunately the next (same!) day was Sunday, so once we finally got free about ten AM I was able to have a good nap. I spent the afternoon on thinking-free tasks like making a New Mexico red chile sauce for some pork I'd smoked the week before, and then helping my wife turn the pork and chile into tamales. Early bedtime.

Texan99 said...

Yeah, my days of functioning on any level after an all-nighter are over. But bless you for stepping up.