Neoclassical metalhead

 As a child of the '80s, one of the artists responsible for making me a life-long metalhead was Yngwie Malmsteen, a Swedish guitarist credited with creating the subgenre known as neoclassical metal. As the name implies, this is a genre of metal that is heavily influenced by classical music. It also features some of the most technical guitar playing that can be found in any type of music.  I have included just a brief sample of songs below, but there are other great bands that play this type of music, such as Stratovarious and Trans-Siberian Orchestra.      





2 comments:

Grim said...

Yeah, I remember Yngwie Malmsteen. He was big back in the Headbangers Ball glory days.

Anonymous said...

It's fun analyzing the best of groups like Stratovarius, Xandria, Kamelot, Avantasia, and Nightwish, and trying to pick out the classical forms and influences. Sabaton's more obvious, since they lift Bach toccatas and chorales directly into their songs. And a certain Swedish folk tune, which is also a hymn tune (and which now I have trouble singing with a straight face.)

Full disclosure: I was a pipe-organ performance minor, specializing in Renaissance and Baroque organ music, so my idea of "fun" may vary from that of normal people. I also sing a lot of Classical, Baroque, and contemporary choral music.

LittleRed1