Reading

I'm recovering from a minor procedure and milking it for all it's worth as an excuse to hang out all day listening to books on tape and crocheting snowflakes, which is what I was doing anyway. I note that I last posted on Jan. 20 in the throes of snowflake mania. Nothing has changed. At this rate I'll cover the entire house in snowflakes and have enough left over to decorate the trees of everyone I know. Two books I can highly recommend: "Index, a history of the" was the contribution of pre-surgery houseguests, and it's one of those wonderful combinations of an offbeat topic handled by a sparkling mind, someone you'd love to be seated next to at a long dinner. The other, also nonfiction, is "The Rescue Artist," about an eccentric undercover Scotland Yard detective with an unusually good record for recovering stolen artwork. Pix from the annual oyster extravaganza last weekend, starting inside and finishing out by the firepit:

7 comments:

Grim said...

Get well, Tex.

Texan99 said...

Tiny incision for an umbilical hernia, already nearly well. If you must have a hernia, this is the kind to get, not the kind that's deep inside. Umbilical hernias are right on the surface, so 72 hours later I can barely feel it.

Robert Macaulay said...

The Rescue Artist was an interesting glimpse into a world with which I am totally unfamiliar. A good book to listen to on a long drive.

E Hines said...

Another book for your recovery--and it's good that your recovery is being smooth, successful, and short--is James Hankins' Virtue Politics: Soulcraft and Statecraft in Renaissance Italy. It's a thick and difficult read, at least for me, and it will long outlast your recovery, helping you to continue avoiding other stuff.

Eric Hines

Tom said...

It's a blizzard! I hope you're healed up soon, and thanks for the book recommendations.

douglas said...

This is a good recovery technique!
Be well, Tex. Glad it's just something minor.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're recovering so fast. As for crocheting, when my grandmother died almost 50 years ago, she left behind enough crochet squares to make a queen-sized bedspread. My grandmother loved to make the elements to make things but wasn't excited about making the finished product - she also left behind lots and lots of quilt squares. Since she was well into her 90s when she died, I figure that was her prerogative.

Somehow my mother and my aunt never quite got around to getting the crochet squares connected. I've now had them for decades and I haven't gotten it done either. On the other hand, the three of us did palm off the quilt squares on an in-law's church quilting group which was very grateful to get them. Maybe I need to find a church crochet group.

Elise