A Moment of Punk Rock

I don't know Gentleman Jesse, but I went to college with his wife so we know each other on Facebook. She's proud of him and wanted everyone to hear his new single, which is part of a larger recording to be released on Third Man Records. (I don't know of them either, but I get the reference.)

We don't do a lot of punk rock around here, but I like the genre. This has something of the CBGBs era sound, which is later than I usually like; but the subject matter is a little more mature than you often get. It's a song about how your life will turn out to be meaningless if you don't spend it protecting something or someone that matters, because then at the end you won't matter to anyone either.

It doesn't seem to be on YouTube, but if you click through the first link you can listen on SoundCloud or in your browser. [UPDATE: Soundcloud has an embed option, so you can hear it below as well.]

4 comments:

Deevs said...

Third Man Records is Jack White's record label. Jack White of White Stripes, Raconteurs, and playing Elvis in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story fame. He seems to be a really big fan of Orson Welles, hence The Third Man reference you picked up on. He wrote a song called the Union Forever back in the early 00's which suddenly made a lot more sense when I finally watched Citizen Kane last year.

That Gentleman Jesse song isn't half bad. Reminds me a bit of The Clash.

Grim said...

Yeah, I kind of liked it too. Thanks for the read-in on Jack White and his record label.

Deevs said...

If you do check out Jack White's stuff, I recommend White Blood Cells and De Stijl by White Stripes and Lazaretto for his more recent self-titled work.

Grim said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.