Language Warning

Today I was traveling down the highway and I turned on the radio -- always a mistake -- and heard some kind of 'country' on the broadcast that was half hip-hop. Now I like hip-hop; there's a lot to admire in the best of it, especially in terms of poetry, although here too I tend to like the older artists than the newer ones. That's probably just generational, or mostly: music in general has been getting objectively worse for a while.

All the same, it reminded me of this Dale Watson tune I haven't posted because of its foul language. I don't know why I try to maintain standards about that; I've long belonged to communities, both here and in Iraq, where good men frequently resorted to strong language. I won't claim that I don't occasionally use it myself for emphasis. Maybe just because it's a marker for standing for something; John Wayne used it once in a while, but only just once in a while when it really belonged.

Anyway, here's Dale, who is a great singer songwriter and has a good point about what's getting sold to us these days.



4 comments:

Tom said...

I don't know why I try to maintain standards about that; I've long belonged to communities, both here and in Iraq, where good men frequently resorted to strong language.

I am not offended by strong language, and at times use it. But I know good people who are offended by it and never use it. I think it's good to maintain the standard of generally keeping it clean, and giving a warning when it's about to get foul, as we do here. That keeps the site enjoyable to those who are turned off by strong language, but also keeps us free to post things with strong language when we like.

TL;DR - I support our current standard on strong language.

slm said...

Sometimes it's required > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xk9-lVpttE

douglas said...

I concur with Tom, but fully understand your sense of wonder at why bother keeping the standard, given the norms today. At twitter, I used to always put a warning on anything I retweeted with foul language in it, and never used profanity myself. I've given up on that, for better or worse, and occasionally indulge, and don't bother with the warnings any longer. I'm not better for it, I suppose. I certainly don't bother giving kids using foul language willy nilly in public a look any more. Far too common to bother with.

Redneck said...

https://youtu.be/94gLc6o_TVI