"Dancing is Strictly Not Permitted"

Pakistan? China? No, the state of Washington Western Australia. [UPDATE: See comments. My mistake.]

You see it's not religion or totalitarianism... well, actually, it does sound like totalitarianism at the point that you presume the right to regulate dancing inside private homes. Amusingly masks are not required, so it's fine to breathe the same air in an enclosed space as long as you don't engage in any dancing. 

Consensual sex between adults of any kind, however, is presumably permitted. No decent progressive government would dare regulate that. So I guess it's not quite totalitarian, since there is at least one exception to totalized regulation. 

6 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It reminds me of the old joke: "Why don't Baptists make love standing up?"




They don't want anyone to think they're dancing.

Anonymous said...

Blessedly this is Australia's WA, not ours. Still ridiculous but not our immediate problem.

I do like the person asking if he can do a little jig if his horse wins the (presumably) Perth Cup. Nice Twitter avatar, too. The Resistance lives. :+)

Elise

Grim said...

Heh. I definitely missed that it was Australia, but that makes sense. They've gone over the wall on all this a while back.

Anonymous said...

I find that puzzling about Australia. I've known 2 Australians fairly well in my life and they both prided themselves on being scornful of bureaucratic rules and having a sort of "no one tells me what to do" attitude. Of course, that was quite a while ago.

David Foster said...

The Australian I have a hard time understanding is Claire Lehmann, the founder & publisher of Quillette. She's shown a lot of courage in standing up against cancel culture, but she seems totally OK with the draconian restrictions in Australia, and thinks Americans are exaggerating what's going on there.

Anonymous said...

Oops - Anonymous at 10:36 was me - Elise