MLK Day

One of Dr. King's remarks was addressed against what he called "white moderates," the progressives of his day. This is from the "Letter from the Birmingham Jail."
I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: 'I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action'; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a 'more convenient season.'
I have an obvious sympathy for the sentiment. Sometimes it is necessary to do radical things when you find the government, or indeed power of any human kind, resolutely on the side of injustice.

How radical? MLK's niece declares that she voted for Trump. That's a deep cleaving cut from the party of the "white moderates," of whom Hillary Clinton was the most recent and most iconic avatar.

UPDATE: MLK's son meets with Trump at Trump Tower, says good things about both Trump and Lewis. Radical days indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alveda C. King probably knows who her friends really are.

In the '90s, Bill Clinton was golfing at a private, segregated golf club, and was eventually shamed into withdrawing his membership. Trump, confronted with a local ordinance requiring segregation, filed a lawsuit and won the right to allow blacks and Jews to patronize his private golf club at Mar-a-Lago.

I do not consider either action radical, but they are both telling.

Valerie

E Hines said...

I'm not sure who these Clinton "white moderates" are. I certainly saw no moderates among her followers. Or Sanders', come to that.

Eric Hines