Hurricane Planning

I've been through some several hurricanes in my life but none like Helene two years ago. Hopefully this one won't go too badly; we are due perhaps seven inches of rain instead of 17, everything isn't already sodden from weeks of rain beforehand, and the wind locally is only expected to gust to 60. There is some flash flooding predicted but nothing like the mass destruction of Helene or even the quite deadly Tropical Storm Fred, the flooding of which topped 23 inches at nearby Lake Toxaway and swept more than thirty people away never to be found just over the ridge down the Pigeon River valley. Still, with the recent memories somewhat fresh we are all giving a little attention to preparation.

I evacuated from one with my family, one other time sent them on and myself stayed behind to ride herd on things at home -- that time I caught the last train and then the last bus out of DC before the storm hit. Otherwise I have mostly slept through them. Since it's not really in my hands anyway, I always figure we'll just have to see how it turns out. 

No comments: