I never want to hear another joke about Alabama. Well, not on this topic anyway. There are lots of good jokes about Alabama.
11 comments:
Anonymous
said...
i was born in Alabama as was my mother and we don't personally know anyone who married a cousin. I know of some double first cousins but there's nothing hinky about that.
That said, I always like a good joke about Alabama. :+)
Here's a joke about Alabama that the late, great Lewis Grizzard of Atlanta used to tell:
A man goes into a store, walks up to the owner, and says, "I'd like a RC Cola and a Moon Pie."
The owner smiles and exclaims, "You must be from Alabama!"
The man gets indignant, and replies, "I resent that allegation! I resent the allega-tor!" [Lewis used to handle that line beautifully; only on reflection would you realize that 'alligator' is an animal rather than a person making an allegation. --Grim] "How dare you make such an assumption from my order? If a man came in here and ordered spaghetti, would you just assume he was Italian?"
The owner is taken aback by the response, and answers, "Well, no, but that's never come up."
The man pushed on. "If a man came in and ordered bread and cheese and wine, would you assume he was French?"
"No," the owner admitted, "but it's never come up."
"So why," the man demanded, reaching his crescendo, "would you assume that I'm from Alabama just because I asked for an RC Cola and a Moon Pie?"
"Because," the owner answered, "This is a hardware store!"
It’s also true! In any hardware store in the South, you can probably get a cola and a Moon Pie. They’re sort of social centers in a lot of the small towns.
Yes, I miss the days when my town had hardware stores like that. And the Busy Bee gas station which was where men would go to have a beer and socialize. My uncle always spent some time there when he would visit from Chicago.
It's near the same in any small town in Arkansas also. It's why my grandmother and other women her age or older were always asking "who's your folks?" We just sort of knew who we could marry and who we couldn't and the grannies made sure we didn't screw up.
According to Google, first (where allowed) and second cousin marriages are far less than one percent of all marriages in the US so they aren't even that common south of the Mason-Dixon line
It's not as common as the jokes about Alabama, but in a few of the novels I read the jokes about rural New England were about the same. Looks as though in New England's case it wasn't entirely unfair.
11 comments:
i was born in Alabama as was my mother and we don't personally know anyone who married a cousin. I know of some double first cousins but there's nothing hinky about that.
That said, I always like a good joke about Alabama. :+)
Sorry. The above was me, Elise. Google has forgotten who I am again.
I knew it was you from the ANSI graphic. You're the only one who uses that particular one -- good as a signature. :)
Here's a joke about Alabama that the late, great Lewis Grizzard of Atlanta used to tell:
A man goes into a store, walks up to the owner, and says, "I'd like a RC Cola and a Moon Pie."
The owner smiles and exclaims, "You must be from Alabama!"
The man gets indignant, and replies, "I resent that allegation! I resent the allega-tor!" [Lewis used to handle that line beautifully; only on reflection would you realize that 'alligator' is an animal rather than a person making an allegation. --Grim] "How dare you make such an assumption from my order? If a man came in here and ordered spaghetti, would you just assume he was Italian?"
The owner is taken aback by the response, and answers, "Well, no, but that's never come up."
The man pushed on. "If a man came in and ordered bread and cheese and wine, would you assume he was French?"
"No," the owner admitted, "but it's never come up."
"So why," the man demanded, reaching his crescendo, "would you assume that I'm from Alabama just because I asked for an RC Cola and a Moon Pie?"
"Because," the owner answered, "This is a hardware store!"
Ouch! Yup, that's a good one.
It’s also true! In any hardware store in the South, you can probably get a cola and a Moon Pie. They’re sort of social centers in a lot of the small towns.
Yes, I miss the days when my town had hardware stores like that. And the Busy Bee gas station which was where men would go to have a beer and socialize. My uncle always spent some time there when he would visit from Chicago.
It's near the same in any small town in Arkansas also. It's why my grandmother and other women her age or older were always asking "who's your folks?" We just sort of knew who we could marry and who we couldn't and the grannies made sure we didn't screw up.
According to Google, first (where allowed) and second cousin marriages are far less than one percent of all marriages in the US so they aren't even that common south of the Mason-Dixon line
I wasn't aware that the Habsburgs had moved to North America.
LittleRed1
It's not as common as the jokes about Alabama, but in a few of the novels I read the jokes about rural New England were about the same. Looks as though in New England's case it wasn't entirely unfair.
Post a Comment