Racism in Politics

A hundred years ago, politics in the South were explicitly racist. At some point that stopped; one might argue about when, but for a long time explicitly racial appeals have been off the menu. Almost everyone regards that as an advance, including myself. 


Here’s an ad that showed up in the mail. It doesn’t mention the word ’race’ nor the name of any race; it depends for its effect on you knowing that things like quotas and hiring are targeted that way. I’ve been turned down for Federal jobs because I don’t have the right demographic background; they didn’t even ask about my qualifications before telling me I was disqualified. 

So, fair play, because it’s true? Or out of bounds, because it is racist/sexist?

1 comment:

E Hines said...

It seems black and white to me: racism and sexism are always and everywhere out of bounds.

The fact that one advertiser/party/whom-whatever pulls racist or sexist spew in no way legitimizes anyone else doing the same.

Claiming something is all right because others did that thing or are doing it is to fail to understand that the ethics, the morality, of a behavior is intrinsic in the behavior, it is to misapprehend that ethics, morality, is a matter of personal convenience.

Eric Hines