Democracy in Action in Georgia

In my old 11th Congressional District, where I lived for several years, the Democratic Party elected a candidate in a democratic primary who has some conservative values. They are now running a write-in campaign against their own candidate in response.

The thing is, you couldn't possibly win the 11th District without some conservative values. It includes some of the wealthy northern suburbs of Atlanta, where all the conservatives moved in the 70s-90s, and stretched well up into the north Georgia mountains (the part I have lived in being there). No candidate without such values stands a chance. So the small-d democratic primary process worked: it identified the Democratic candidate most likely to win in a very conservative district. 

There's very little evidence of faith in small-d democracy left in the Democratic Party, I fear.

1 comment:

E Hines said...

There's very little evidence of faith in small-d democracy left in the Democratic Party, I fear.

I think it's less a matter of little faith in small-d democracy than it is an overt disdain for small-d democracy on the part of the Progressive-Democratic Party.

Eric Hines