The Spirit of '76

You've heard of the North Carolina frat boys who rushed to hold up the American flag to keep it off the ground until it could be re-hoisted. They were pelted by the anti-American, pro-Hamas mob as they strove to keep our flag from falling. The story reminds me of that of Sergeant Jasper, a famous figure from the American Revolution, who made his fame securing the flag of a newly independent South Carolina that fell under fire; and who died securing the American flag also under fire. Fortunately the fire at UNC was not deadly, but there is a parallel in the spirit. 

Giving a sense of how the public feels about all of this, an effort to raise money to throw them a proper fraternity party is closing on half a million dollars. A right-wing-themed beer company is promising to provide free beer, so that will leave quite a budget for the other aspects of the party. (Perhaps they might wisely use some of it to retire any student loans they've undertaken.) 

The event reminds me of an old Doonesbury cartoon from the Reagan era, where one of the old radicals went to a college campus only to find himself among frat boys with no sympathy for "pinkos." The radicals have returned, but the frat boys are still there like always.

2 comments:

douglas said...

My daughter has started seeing a frat boy. I certainly had my concerns, but thus far, her experiences with the frat boys in general have won me over a bit- they're polite, walk the ladies out to their cars from whatever event they're at, offer to carry things for the girls, and seem decent enough. This event has only further substantiated my revised opinion.

Grim said...

I've never been a big fan of frat boys, but I've known a few men who used to be in a frat who were good enough guys. I always thought the Greek culture had some flaws, but if it produces guys who are willing to stand up for the flag under duress, it has to be better than I was giving it credit for being.