Sensible Gun Control

I have argued that the right to keep and bear arms is fundamental to human dignity, and as such I reject and abhor any attempts to disarm free people as a basic violation of that dignity. I do, however, support this initiative called Knuckle-Up, which aims to establish a culture of voluntarily putting down guns in cases of physical disputes and solving them honorably with fists instead.
Knuckle Up’s mission is to promote a culture who’s first resort isn’t to use a weapon. As participants in the MC culture, we’re no strangers to conflict. Conflict resolution should follow an escalation of force. Most disagreements between grown men should be able to be resolved through discussion. If violence is necessary, we should be handling it in an honorable way.

Now this is by no means “anti-gun”. Personally, I am an avid supporter of the 2nd amendment. I hold multiple certifications in firearms instruction. I believe in the individual’s right to keep an bear arms, especially in defense of oneself. If someone seeks to do you harm, you should meet that threat with appropriate force. 

What we’re talking about here is extreme violence in response to being offended. Someone starts a fight in a bar, and then it’s another persons immediate reaction to pull a weapon. 

What happened to a culture where two men, who didn’t agree, could settle their differences with an honorable scrap and a beer afterwards? When did we start putting ourselves in situations, and then fearing for the physical repercussions of those situations, and as an out, pulling a gun or a knife. 

I don’t want to wonder who I’m going to burry tomorrow. It’s time we as men, took a stand against the weak, beta behavior of bringing a weapon to a fist fight. It’s time we made fighting cool again. It’s time we brought honor back to the MC. 

I hope you’ll stand with me. Shame the weak who would just as soon take a life before they took an ass whooping. Put the guns down, and knuckle up.

There are practical difficulties to be solved: for example, if you brought a gun (or a knife, which is what I generally carry because they're endlessly useful items as well as providing an aid to self defense), you would need to have a lot of trust to put it down in order to have a fistfight. It makes sense that they're coming out of a club culture in which you could have friends you'd trust to take control of the weapon while you fought, and also to serve as guarantors ("seconds," they were called in the dueling culture) that the other side would not exploit your relative weakness. The honorable resolution of the dispute needs to be upheld. 

Still, for those who aren't willing to go all the way to a resumption of dueling, it's a nice middle ground. Of course mature men almost never resort to physical violence to resolve disputes; that is mostly the province of headstrong youth. In that way we serve as respectable examples for them to emulate. In the meantime, it doesn't try to pretend that young men aren't what they are, or ask them to behave as if they were something else. 

Too, creating a space to do this without exposure to legal punishment could be genuinely helpful. A society in which even a shove on the shoulder is treated as a felony has no way within the laws for these young men to act out their natures. If they're outside the law one way or the other, why not take the steps most likely to ensure victory? Creating a space like this would grant the incentive of a way of resolving the dispute honorably, publicly, with a high probability of coming through it alive, and without the threat of legal ramifications. It could really cut down on the kinds of killings that really do drive our murder rate: usually illegal, usually with illegally-possessed handguns, often in the context of gangs and therefore such young men.

12 comments:

E Hines said...

There are other practical difficulties to settling differences with fisticuffs rather than with other weapons.

Krav Maga teaches that the first resort to an escalating argument is to back away, offer the beer first rather than sharing one afterward, leave the premises, even. But if the fight is forced on you, deal with it and finish it on your terms; the effort begins with maximum violence at the outset until you've gained control of the fight and of your...opponent(s).

I have some skill at Krav, which puts me at a significant advantage over most men, of any relative size. And maximum violence does not include half-measures. I was born with 10 weapons on my body, and Krav teaches how to use them.

I'm not sure a fight would be any less damaging than just shooting him/them--or better, brandishing and creating the room for leaving.

And if my lady is with me, I'm strongly disinclined to risk her to my losing the fight, even though she has some skill at Krav, also.

Eric Hines

E Hines said...

...a way of resolving the dispute....

I'm also not sure what sort of dispute gets resolved with a fight other than which of the disputants was the better fighter that time.

Eric Hines

Grim said...

Mature men such as ourselves almost never engage in resolving disputes in this way, for many reasons we needn’t try to list or explicate. Young men do, though, and very often. There are better and worse ways to do it.

But honestly, you’ve never seen a fistfight end in a significant improvement in mutual respect and desire to avoid future conflicts, perhaps improved upon by beers afterwards? That’s unusual, I think. Usually what happens is that the disrespect they hold each other in is attenuated by realizing that it’s a lot harder than they thought to knock the other down, and in fact he can get in some good licks too. This is all the more true when the young men are undisciplined and overly proud, as is especially likely in these cases that so often end in shootings in bad neighborhoods.

E Hines said...

...a fistfight end in a significant improvement in mutual respect....

Sure, often. But improving mutual respect and resolving the underlying dispute are two different things. I've never seen a dispute resolved by fighting.

And for completeness' sake, though you understood my meaning, I was born with 10 weapons on my body, and Krav teaches how to use them, to which I should have added: Which puts a premium on my doing my best to avoid being sucked into a pointless fight.

Eric Hines

Mike Guenther said...

Back in the day, when there was still a Cullowhee High School, if two students got in to a disagreement, the principal would take them to the gym and put boxing gloves on them. That way, even if you lost, the only thing hurt was your pride.

Anonymous said...

Someone, the fathers I seem to recall, tried to de-escalate a HS drama here a few years ago. They took the boys to a vacant school yard after hours and tried to let the guys go at each other and clear the air. Alas, a person in the neighborhood saw it and called the cops, and everyone involved got in trouble.

I thought the dads had the right idea - fair fight ends the matter.

LittleRed1

douglas said...

Mr. Hines, if I may- I figured out nine weapons- Feet, hands, knees, elbows, forehead... but I can't come up with a tenth (unless it's the brain). What's the tenth?

E Hines said...

Head
Two hands
Two elbows
Two knees
Two feet
Head

First head is the club you've identified. Second head is for out-thinking my enemy in the fight.

Eric Hines

douglas said...

Thank you, sir.

Tom said...

I went back to review the original post (Arms and Human Dignity) and it seems that my initial comment is gone. Did I make it in another thread? Or has the blog eaten it?

Grim said...

Hm, I don't know. I am reviewing the spam folder to see if it got moved there, and oddly enough I do see comments from you and even from me that have been marked spam for some reason. Certainly not by me!

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I worked at a boys school in the 70s and we would also put gloves on them if it got to a certain point. One advantage is that even the outmatched boys knew they were not going to die from it and likely not seriously injured. In such a case, one can stand in and take the punishment and retain some honor even in defeat. In a street fight you don't know what rules the other guy will be playing by, which is part of why firearms were called the great equalisers.

Any system is subject to being gamed and abused, so I worry about Grim's original suggestion somewhat. However, I don't think it's the worst solution out there and likely works very well for all concerned in many cases.