Go to the threat

It's not what I would do, I'm sure. It's a good thing everyone isn't like me.
“It’s the reflex. Go! Go to the fire. Stop the action. Stop the activity. Don’t let no one get hurt. I tried to bring everybody back,” he said Monday outside his home in Colorado Springs, where an American flag hung from the porch.
Funny how I see this story as about an eelbrain who was kicked back on the street last year for no good reason but finally stopped in his tracks by a random good citizen trained to use violence quickly and decisively for the public good. The press sees it as about the victimization of an imperiled voting bloc by a guy they'd love to portray as a member of the alt-right.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. As we often do, we're having a three-household gathering with our nextdoor neighbors, potluck. Greg is roasting a second turkey today. He wants to try a new recipe but felt I would object to abandoning the traditional one, which is fair. He's been brining and spice-curing a turkey for decades, now, and it's inimitable, but I'm looking forward to seeing how a John Besh recipe turns out. We'll bring over Spinach Madeleine and Presbyterian Green Beans. I made a little cranberry relish the way I like it, though probably no one else will eat it: fresh cranberries and a whole orange in the blender, with some sugar, crystallized ginger, and something for heat--in this case a dash of sambal manis. No need to cook it.

So far November has looked more like February: gray, drizzly, and rather cold. The winter vegetable crops are loving it. We may even get a crop of fall tomatoes. Today the sun has come out, so now it does look like November in South Texas. After a fresh wreath arrived in the mail this week, I scoured the yard for interesting berries and husks to add to it.



And here is my problem child, the most recent dog, who still can't get along with the others:



One last picture: my production so far this season of Froebel stars and crocheted snowflakes:

8 comments:

Grim said...

The guy who disarmed this gay bar shooter was a straight guy, combat vet who’d brought his wife and kids to see a drag show at the gay bar.

The least weird part of the story is that the shooter was a pronoun person. That’s like the only thing that tracks. Being nonbinary is not an issue, but “You have to call me ‘they!’” is aggressive.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

We were given a set of similar crocheted (and starched) snowflakes in 1980 and still have them as Christmas ornaments.

Texan99 said...

I don't usually starch them, but I do iron them. These haven't been ironed yet.

E Hines said...

Maybe they don't all need to be ironed. The curling adds a beauty of its own.

Eric Hines

Christopher B said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

My mom adopted that style of cranberry relish as a tradition off the Ocean Spray bag :) I think it reminded her and my maternal grandmother of chutneys from when she was growing up in British India with her missionary parents. It was the kid's job to crank the cranberries and orange wedges through the old sausage grinder between watching parades on Thanksgiving morn. We made it straight without the ginger kick, probably in deference to my father who wasn't a spicy food fan. I've become partial to my wife's take, which is heating seedless raspberry jelly and orange juice until red molten lava, then adding fresh cranberries and letting them pop. Cool a bit and the consistency is perfect.

Just the wife and I this year again, and we're taking advantage of her employer's turkey breast meal kit with a couple of additions ... bourbon maple sweet potato casserole and Stove Top stuffing (another tradition). I'm going to make a mustard sauce for the green beans that came with the kit instead of the almondine (not a fan) just for something different.

Texan99 said...

We're fond of the dark meat, which will work great with our host and the other guests, who will have four breasts to compete for. I must say, though, that the turkey brining recipe makes even the white meat good.

I have high hopes for the pies our hostess is likely to produce. That woman can make a pie.

Boy, last night Greg produced a pork shoulder with a John Besh plum sauce, which he cooked on the outdoor smoker low and slow for hours. Was it ever tasty. Pork shoulder is the only cut we ever cook: good for a whole roast, good for steaks, and good for cubing into stews or stir fries. It makes a killer vindaloo, for instance, or chow mein, or pozole.

douglas said...

Problem Child's nose markings fascinate me! They're like nothing I've ever seen before.

Texan99 said...

Scarlett is a total mutt. I can't make out what the components are--those erect pointy ears, that wrinkly face, that black snout. I'd guess some Rhodesian, but there's no stripe on the back.

She's affectionate with people, even strangers, but she goes into instant fight mode with my other dogs. Luckily it's show-fight, so I'm trying to work up my courage to let them have it out, hoping it won't escalate into real damage.