Drunken Poet's Dream


It takes some courage, as a poet, to substitute for a rhyme what is really an identity (as it does to substitute a near-rhyme, or a not-very-near one). I love that he acknowledges it in the text of the poem. 

The Reverend Horton Heat chose to rhyme gas-oh-leen with sev-uhn-teen, which would have worked for mesk-ah-leen just as well. RWH has the standing to defy petty conventions. 



If you are drinking tonight or this weekend, have one for the soul of Master Sergeant Craig Zentkovich, whom I knew a good while in Iraq. I hear he died in his sleep last night; I have heard no more. [UPDATE: Here is a GoFundMe link provided by Douglas in the comments.] Kenny Rogers said that was the best we could hope for. Those of you inclined to prayer might remember him. 

3 comments:

douglas said...

Prayers for the soul of MSGT Zentkovich, and his grieving family.

I see there is a go fund me for his family if anyone is inclined to offer such assistance.

Grim said...

Yes, that's him. I hadn't seen him in fifteen years. Good to know he made Master Sergeant before he retired.

I confirmed with our mutual comrade, with whom I've been in much more regular and recent contact, that this is legitimate if anyone wants to give to it.

Grim said...

The last time I remember talking to him was at the Green Beans on Camp Slayer, which was by one of the artificial lakes that Saddam had built to entertain his guests. I was about to leave Iraq, though I went back six months later.

I remember he said, “I don’t think we’ve ever had a conflict, you and me.” I got the impression that was unusual for him, but in fact we never did.