Delta


"Ladies Love Outlaws" is a classic Waylon album from 1972, and he is now classic Americana. Waylon thus provides a good ending piece for Independence Day. 

That album also featured this piece, which I think he got from Elvis. The 1972 version was not especially great, as he was still sounding a lot like Nashville (and notice the clean shaven face in the album cover). By 1974, he really had his sound worked out with his band.


Very productive years for him, seventy-two to seventy-four. By seventy-four he was at the top of his game.

3 comments:

J Melcher said...

Of "Delta Dawn" I only knew the Helen Reddy version. Which is about as awful as most of her work. For me, this "new" version is a rescue of the composition.

Mike Guenther said...

Probably the best version of Delta Dawn is by Tanya Tucker.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I recall it as a song beloved by guys who couldn't sing. I have no idea why.