Another Twenty Minute Job

Lately it seems like every repair project has a broken bolt, or a head that rounds off, or some other weary complication. A job that ought to take a few minutes ends up taking all day, or in today's case will now take at least through tomorrow. Today I was just going to replace the front struts in my Ford, and I figured that if I was going to do that I ought to redo the brakes and maybe swap out that one wheel bearing that's been sounding funny. After all, you have to remove almost all the same stuff to get there. 

Well, maybe tomorrow. Or soon.

Also, my oil dipstick on that truck broke in my hand when I went to check the oil. Flush with the engine block, it did. Now I'll have to tap the thing with a drill, run a screw into it, and pull it out with Vice Grips. But that will have to wait until the new one I ordered comes in.

UPDATE: I finished that list on Tuesday due to issues with the upper ball joint on one side, but now I have a new list of things to fix just as AVI warmed. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, It can't be Saturday.....it sounds too much like Monday.

Greg

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Fixing one thing identifies five other things that are broken. Then you have choices what's important. Before moving to our downsized house two years ago, I pursued every one of those "efficiencies" for three years. I think that was the right choice. I don't do that now. I think that is also the right choice.

The words "Five years from now..." should start looming larger and larger in your life. You ain't there yet, but you need to know that's in front of you.

I have little anxiety now.

Grim said...

Memento Mori. The Stoics were good on that.

You’re right about every repair leading to another. That tire with the bad wheel bearing needs replacement. I’ll have to go to Asheville, because the tire is insured and it’s only a year old. Stress from the improper seat on the road has worn its inside rim out while most of the tread remains.

J Melcher said...

I sadly feel reluctant to rescue a young dog from the animal shelter as I contemplate the risk that the dog might live longer than I will.

Grim said...

I would advise you to rescue the dog if you think he’s a good fit for you. If you’re like me you have buried and mourned many good dogs; it’s fair enough if once they mourn you. Just purvey for a home for him when and if you’re gone first.