Curmudgeons and their music

 


I'm 65, and while I understand in a general way what Spotify is, it's not for me.  Some years ago when we were trying to install a home audio-visual system that would coordinate the internet with the TV and allow us to send music playlists to either indoor or outdoor speakers, I had trouble getting the playlist function to work.  The young AV engineer pointed out that it was trivially easy to hook into Pandora and had a really hard time grasping why I wanted to make up my own list of songs.  I was equally baffled why I'd want to let anyone else choose them.  "But there are lots of different channels with different styles," the little whippersnapper would say, tactfully omitting the implicit "even old fogey stuff" part.  Yes, and none of them are particularly close to anything I'd listen to, old or otherwise.  It's the curmudgeon disconnect, or maybe the disdain of someone with exotic tastes for someone more plugged into popular culture.  Even in my plugged-in youth I disliked listening to 99 pieces of dreck on the radio to hear one compelling song.

Neil Young often figures prominently in my playlists.  Here's hoping he doesn't mind.  Without even listening to Joe Rogan, I still side with him in the filthy censorship wars.

5 comments:

Christopher B said...

I used Pandora for a bit but switched to SiriusXM after my wife bought me a receiver and initial subscription to supplement the radio in my truck. I was never into the iPod so most of my listening has been radio and albums (vinyl, cassette, then CD) where I wasn't picking the songs anyway.

Anonymous said...

I have CDs in my truck, and play stuff off of an MP3 player through the speakers sometimes. I don't have any internet subscriptions, and I don't want any. My tastes are far too ecclectic - Boston Camerata's early American music and Shaker music, followed by Eastern European Romantic-era music, symphonic metal, some older Country and some Western, classical and ancient (Renaissance and earlier) music . . . There's not a channel for that.

LittleRed1

Grim said...

Spotify is pretty good. The whiny hippie was off my list when Lynyrd Skynyrd wrote him out decades ago.

Aggie said...

Heh. I'm still using my iPod believe it or not, with about 60 days worth of continuous music.

It's flat - just like the Earth.

ymarsakar said...

I have no idea what Spotify is. Maybe podcast. I know what Pandora is though as I use it a lot.

The Earth is not Flat but it is also not a sphere. It is a multidimensional artifact created by the higher realms and gods.