Grim's Barbecue Sauce


Tonight I'm making pulled pork and smoked chicken for my guests, the pork being a Boston butt seared on the grill and then slow cooked overnight in the crock pot. I like barbecue as a meal for traveling guests (at least those who are not ethical vegetarians -- I'm not quite sure what I'll feed her yet) because it can enhance the touring experience. Barbecue is a food with many regional sauce variations, and some cooking variations, so you can show outsiders both what the barbecue is like here and what it is like in various regions nearby.

I secured the local barbecue sauce from the firefighter who makes it for the annual VFD fundraiser barbecue. It's more vinegar-based than I like myself, but it is locally very popular. Across the border in South Carolina they make a mustard-based sauce, and across the border in Tennessee they make a ketchup-based sauce.

I grew up in the Great State of Georgia, though, so I make a Georgia-style sauce that is spicy and slightly sweet. I thought some of you might like to try it. I never measure anything, so measurements are somewhat guesswork -- if you make it yourself add more of whatever you think you'd like more of, and less if you'd like less of it.

Grim's Barbecue Sauce

1 can (8 oz) tomato paste
Several cups brewed black coffee
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chipotle powder (a smaller amount of cayenne would be more typical for a Georgia sauce, but the larger quantity of chipotle adds to the smoky flavor)
1 tsp smoked or hot paprika
1 tsp chili powder (or just ancho chili powder)
1 tsp black pepper
Small shot, Apple cider vinegar
Salt to taste

Scrape the tomato paste out of the can and into a warm (not hot) cast iron pan (or you can do it in a crockpot on low heat). Dissolve the tomato paste in hot black coffee. When I'm doing it, I use French roasted coffee, make more coffee than usual that morning, and leave it to cook down for hours until it is very strong. Dissolve sugar and molasses into this mixture, tasting to ensure it is sweet enough but not sweeter than you'd like. (You might try dividing the tablespoon into three teaspoons if you'd like a not-very-sweet sauce, and adding one of each until it's where you want it. As I said, I'm only guessing about how much I use anyway.)

After you get the sweetness where you want it, add the spices, adjusting as you like until it suits your particular preference.

Cook over low heat until the sugars caramelize, adding more brewed black coffee as necessary to thin it so it doesn't burn. You can also thin it with more apple cider vinegar if you think you'd enjoy a brighter, more acidic flavor. Once the sugars are caramelized properly, you can allow it to thicken. Remove from heat and serve. 

Alternatively, you can double the recipe and cook it all together with the meat in the crock pot. That will give it a much meatier flavor as the sauce will absorb the juices from the pork. 

UPDATE: I often add oregano or sage to it once it boils, especially if they're in season.

9 comments:

Texan99 said...

That looks like what I think of a BBQ sauce. I've had and enjoyed the other varieties, but this one is the basic thing.

Pork butt is just the best. I see no reason for pork tenderloin to exist.

Grim said...

I guess the pig needs it, and as such it’d be a shame to waste it.

Grim said...

Oh, I often put oregano or sage in it too, once it boils.

E Hines said...

make more coffee than usual that morning, and leave it to cook down for hours until it is very strong.

Any fool knows you gotta put the coffee in the cold water and bring them both to a boil together. That way you get all of the flavor. Worst thing they do, they throw away the old grounds after using them once. What they don't know is that they are throwing away the best part. You got to keep them old grounds and you add a little fresh coffee every morning and let her boil. Shoot, you don't make a cup, you build a pot. You don't really get a good pot until you've been usin' it about a week. Then it's coffee.

Or so I've been told.

Eric Hines

DLSly said...

I have a black bean burger recipe that has been a hit with several of the vegetarians that have been to the Dark Side for a meal. You're welcome to that recipe if you so desire. You know the email. >0;~}

Anonymous said...

I will try this. Thanks!

Speaking of sauces , gravies, stews and such- a plug for the tomatilla- apart from a piquant, slightly acid edge, they have a way of thickening when cooked in.
And they do well in cool climates-where a tomato will barely ripen, if at all, the tomatilla does well. One of my favorite garden fruits, very resistant to insect infestation as it grows in it's own armor, and has a sticky coating underneath that seems to dissuade pests.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Grim. That looks wonderful. I'm copying it into my personal recipe book, with attribution.

LittleRed1

Grim said...

...a plug for the tomatilla- apart from a piquant, slightly acid edge, they have a way of thickening when cooked in.

That chili I made Tuesday started with some of them. I also added some tomato to brighten it up a bit. That was also a chipotle-heavy chili. My brother-in-law claimed he'd intended to ask me to make up another batch to send with him, "without the extra spice." I'm glad he didn't, if he really meant to do. There was no "extra spice," and I'm not sure I'd know how to make it if it didn't taste right to me.

Grim said...

LR1,

You're certainly welcome.