Trigger Warning

So this song features violence against women. It's Jerry Jeff Walker, though, so we can reason that he probably means it as a joke -- much as in his more famous song, "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother." Still, when I played it for my wife, she was like, "What did he just say?" We don't get that kind of thing around here. 



Really, it's a surprisingly inappropriate song that can only be justified in the name of comedy. Probably for that reason, I'd never heard it before this week, when Spotify came up with it in its weekly recommendations. (These have been surprisingly non-PC on a fairly consistent basis; if my social credit score is based on what Spotify thinks I'll like, I'm definitely doomed.) 

I'm passing it on to you in the spirit of resistance to cancel culture, over-sensitivity, and the glorious freedoms of speech and expression. You're warned, and you're adults. Do what you want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laugh at "Have some Madiera, My Dear," even though it would never get air time today.

LittleRed1

Grim said...

I do appreciate Spotify being willing to carry non-PC stuff. Sometimes I don’t like what they put in front of me, but sometimes I do. In this case I thought the song had a well-constructed chorus, I often like the ‘talking blues’ style, and I laughed out loud at the Stetson joke. I don’t approve of violence by men against women, but then I reflected that the ‘kick in the crotch’ joke is employed relentlessly against men in popular culture. Women can perhaps take the joke too. (Not that anyone should really do such a thing.)