Happy Advent / Thanksgiving Casserole

Today is, as those of you interested already knew, the first Sunday of Advent. I hope you have a good period of preparation for the Yuletide.

We are also in the period of trying to finish off Thanksgiving leftovers. Today I said to my dining companion, "At some point, you're going to ask me what this is." 

What it was, was Thanksgiving casserole. A few days ago I turned part of the turkey into a diced, mushroom-rich pasta filling for home-made ravioli. (I'm not a great maker of egg pasta, but it's fun sometimes to do different things.) Today I took what was left of that, which was quite a lot because it turns out you only put a teaspoon of filling in each ravioli, and mixed it with other leftovers. I put in the leftover macaroni and cheese, the leftover cornbread stuffing, the leftover gravy, mixed it all thoroughly, and baked it with some additional cheese on top. It didn't look like much of anything, but it tasted pretty good.

As we polish off the remaining leftovers, we can turn our attention to what kinds of festival foods we'll want to make once the big feast arrives. I've decided to focus on meat pies and other "Great Pyes" this year, which is different from usual. This evening I'm trying out a recipe for Scottish Steak Pie, a Hogmanay classic, to see what I'd want to change about it to make it as good as it can be come New Year's Eve.  

3 comments:

E Hines said...

Tweak it for New Year's Eve with bacon and chocolate chips, diced from Lindt 90% chocolate bars.

Eric Hines

Grim said...

Hmm. Sounds plausible, though these were a big hit locally.

douglas said...

I was very disappointed this year that we ended up with not much turkey left over. I always look forward to my wife's turkey enchiladas after Thanksgiving, but alas, none to be had this year. Unless we pick up one of the cheap surplus turkeys at the market right now. Maybe we should do that.