Come down now they'll say

Last night I watched "Homecoming," a Julia Roberts production on Amazon Prime.  Typical antiwar, anticapitalist politics aside, it was an affecting story about the death of identity we court when we numb a painful memory.  The soundtrack to the final scene was this song "The Trapeze Swinger," with its insistent chorus of "Remember Me."  In tracking it down I found I also liked "Such Great Heights," a cover from the same artist.  Actually most of his songs are pretty similar, but dreamy and effective.



1 comment:

Tom Grey said...

Strange -- I agree with dreamy, but not quite so effective for me. Neither the Trapeze Swinger (first time hearing), nor Such Great Heights (where I quite like the original).

"The death of identity we court when we numb a painful memory." Very interesting idea; I wonder if many abused or slightly abused kids numb their memories, and get reduced identity.

For some reason, after listening to the Trapeze Swinger, I looked for the Carpenters - Close to You.