Big, Hot, Cheap, and Right

An article about driving a Sriracha factory out of California and into the arms of Texas mentioned a book called "Big, Hot, Cheap, and Right," about the success of the Texas small-government model, which was surprising for two reasons.  First, it's written by Erica Grieder, who is identified as a "senior editor" at Texas Monthly, and I didn't think those people were allowed to entertain suspect political or socio-economic philosophy.  Second, my husband points out that it's on our shelf, where it's sat since he bought it some time ago, though neither of us has read it.  Another book to add to my pile!

A third reason for surprise, of course, is that the author uses the serial comma (a/k/a the Oxford or Harvard comma) in her title.  I'm a serial comma type myself, from way back, but in a decided minority.

In the linked article, Grieder addresses the familiar divide between libertarian and social conservatives in Texas politics, an issue of inexhaustible interest for me.

6 comments:

MikeD said...

Oxford comma, and why it is important:

http://wordyenglish.com/musing/i/oxford_comma_and_strippers_joke.jpg

DL Sly said...

There isn't supposed to be a comma after "Cheap", so technically, she's committed serial grammacide.
heh
One of the VES's fav iFunny's is a poster that says -
"I like cooking my family and my pets.
Use commas.
They save lives."
0>;~}

E Hines said...

Foolish Tran. Doesn't he know that businesses are jobs welfare programs and not free enterprises?

Eric Hines

MikeD said...

Sly! It's like you didn't even follow my link! That comma after "Cheap" (aka the Oxford Comma) is absolutely essential!

E Hines said...

...follow my link! That comma after "Cheap" (aka the Oxford Comma) is absolutely essential!

Or its absence is what's absolutely essential.

Eric Hines

MikeD said...

Maybe you'd like to see JFK and Stalin as strippers. I certainly would not. Not the least of which is because they're dead. Zombie strippers are the WORST!