Hunting Hyenas

Hunting Hyenas:

About a week or so ago, I actually got a few hours off during the daylight. I'd seen some hyenas wandering around at night. A Navy LT who was here last spring caught one.

Heyna


They're cute. I saw the pups last night, who are even cuter.

I decided to go see if I could track them. The dust in Iraq is perfect for tracking.



Turns out they were denned up in among some construction materials out in an empty quarter by Route Irish. There were also some abandoned trailers out there, which the hyenas enjoyed.



I did find the den and the female, but the others were out hunting. I had to climb into the T-walls to get to the den, and she spotted me as I got within a few feet of her. She was better at wiggling around than I was, so by the time I got clean and got my camera on her, she was fifty yards away and moving.



Ah, well. Sorry about the picture, but it was fun. Most fun I've had since I got here, in fact.

No comments: