Where do cowboys go

Reincarnation:

Since I've had little else to say of late, here is the concluding section to a poem called "Where do Cowboys go when they Die?" by Michael Martin Murphey. It strikes me that the readership will appreciate it. We begin shortly after a cowboy named Slim is buried, and his body begins to decompose in the ground:

Well, in a while some rain is gonna' come
and fall upon the ground,
'til one day on your lonely little grave
a little flower will be found.

And, say a hoss should wander by
and graze upon this flower,
that once was you, but now has become
a vegetated bower.

Well that little flower that the hoss
done ate up with all his other feed,
becomes bone and fat and muscle,
essential to the steed.

Course some is consumed that he can't use,
and so it passes through.
Finally it lays there on the ground,
this thing that once was you.

And then say that I should wander by
and gaze upon the ground,
and wonder and ponder
on this object that I've found.

Well it sure makes me think of reincarnation,
of life and death and such,
and I ride away concludin',
'Slim, you ain't changed all that much.'
There's some good cowboy poetry out there. If you folks liked that, and aren't wholly familiar with it already, I could probably dig up a few more things you'd like.

No comments: