R.I.P. Logic Tobola II (FAIA)

I got to walk around in our new church building this week, the concrete having been poured and made it easier to approach without making the workers too nervous.  Every space, every transition between spaces, made me happy.  I felt I was in the hands of a talented designer.  What I didn't realize is that the architect, Logic Tobola, had just died, or was just dying, of cancer.  I can't find his obit up on the net yet, but here is a link to an article about a mobile church he designed for the Episcopal Church in Texas, and here are updated snapshots of our new church.  We'll be moving in sometime in July; for the first time I feel it will be an improvement over the charming existing building.

I'm sorry Mr. Tobola won't get to see the finished church, but he did get to tour the construction site a month or so, already in a wheelchair.  He loved his work and his church.

2 comments:

Grim said...

I'm sorry to hear about your architect, Tex. I know you were deeply grateful to him for crafting a beautiful, sacred space.

douglas said...

"Logic", that's an interesting given name.

Glad to hear construction is going smoothly, and the spaces 'feel' right to you. That's the true test. No rendering or photograph can truly let you know whether or not a space works. You have to experience it. It does look even better in the new snapshots than it did in the first round of pictures. Congratulations.