In the Last Hours of Advent

While I have been preparing for Christmas for a month, there was much to do in the final day of Advent. I prepared the feast for tomorrow, which itself took hours. It's an unusual one: none of the Christmas standards, no roast beast nor ham nor turkey, not even a Great Pie like I often make. 

This year I decided to make my wife a lobster-chipotle corn chowder that a friend of mine taught me how to make. It's not the sort of thing I'd ever normally make, as it involves not only seafood (not something to which I am accustomed, as a mountain man) but a seafood from distant cold waters. Nevertheless I bought her a frozen lobster and made it for her because I thought she'd like it, and perhaps all the more as it is a rare thing.

For my son and myself, I made a very common dish: venison chili. That's what he said he wanted. When he was a little boy he used to fuss so much about me making chili. He grumbled endlessly about being made to eat it regularly, as it's my go-to beef stew. Yet, just as I told him (and as he emphatically denied was possible) in time he came to love and value it. So, at his request, that's what I made. 

I did make Julkage, a traditional Christmas bread/cake from Scandinavia. So there's that, at least. Oh, and cookies: the "forbidden cookies" that my wife remonstrated against me making until late this afternoon, when she confessed she really wanted me to make her some. They're exactly like chocolate chip cookies except for substituting Heath bar crumble in place of chocolate chips. The last time I made a batch they were gone before I even got a single cookie. 

And though this went well back before Advent, I finished bottling the Christmas Mead. 





7 comments:

Tom said...

Sounds great.

Have a joyous Christmas!

Grim said...

Thank you. I wish you a Merry Christmas as well.

Christopher B said...

Merry Christmas!

Dad29 said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Of less import: the Kelvinator! That company was purchased by Nash Motors (later, AMC). Kelvinator manufactured Sikorsky choppers during WWII and P&W radial aircraft engines, besides refrigerators.

The name is now owned by Electrolux, but its history is all-Michigan.

Anonymous said...

A fine Advent feast indeed. :)

I have a recipe called "I'm Bringing Bars?!?" Bars (from a rural-school cookbook) that uses both chocolate chips and Heath™ or Skor™ chips. The bars tend to vanish within minutes of discovery.

LittleRed1

Texan99 said...

I'm going to try those Heath Bar cookies. I like the cookie part of chocolate chip cookies, and the pecans, but I found that I'm indifferent to the chocolate chips. Chocolate's great, but for me not in a chocolate chip cookie. The little toffee pieces sound like a great addition to the pecans!

Neighbors joined us last night for a prime rib feast, so today is easy street and leftovers. A couple of family members will join us late this afternoon. They often bring venison breakfast sausage, a welcome addition. We had a quiet morning opening our presents for each other, as we like it.

Merry Christmas to all!

Grim said...

Of less import: the Kelvinator!

You know, I've wondered about that brand. It's a nifty old refrigerator. It still works if you plug it in, although there's so many holes in the steel at this point that it instantly ices up in the Smoky Mountain humidity. One of these days I'll get some bondo and fix it up. For now, I use it as a (mostly) light-tight storage cabinet for my mead.

I just cleaned it the other day, sanded and spraypainted the interior shelves a nice black. It goes well with the powder blue elements of the design.