The Gentle and Joyous Passage of Arms of Daytona

Thus ended the memorable field of Ashby-de-la-Zouche, one of the most gallantly contested tournaments of that age; for although only four knights, including one who was smothered by the heat of his armour, had died upon the field, yet upwards of thirty were desperately wounded, four or five of whom never recovered. Several more were disabled for life; and those who escaped best carried the marks of the conflict to the grave with them. Hence it is always mentioned in the old records, as the Gentle and Joyous Passage of Arms of Ashby.
They Daytona 500 fortunately did not kill anyone this year, but it came damn close.


This wasn't even the largest wreck, just the most spectacular. Fortunately the driver, Ryan Newman, is reported to be alive with serious but non-lifethreatening injuries.

Here was the big one:


Now all this might seem like an odd sport to want to be involved with, unless you understand the history of passages of arms. Or the rodeo, which regularly kills and maims and cripples men who nevertheless will nearly bankrupt themselves to follow the circuit. Honor and glory, and sometimes the grave.


Well, did you want to live forever?

UPDATE: Newman has been released from the hospital, walking under his own power.

4 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

The Southern writer Florence King used to claim that a good death was a major goal for southern men.

Grim said...

I can only speak for myself, but I think about it every day.

Grim said...

I didn’t when I was younger, though even then I was always willing to do something dangerous if it might lead to an honorable death. But since my father died, I find that my mind often turns to what kind of an end is most worthy, now that I fully grasp that an end is necessary and forthcoming.

Texan99 said...

https://babylonbee.com/news/bloomberg-stops-by-daytona-500-to-hand-out-speeding-tickets