Lileks, Great Writer of Our Time

Anyway: This concludes our examination of a vegan’s review of Ruth’s Chris Steak House.
Even better:
Monogamy doesn’t work for Diaz, or the author of the piece, so Ditching must begin. It’s not enough to say, “I just can’t imagine sticking with one person the rest of my life. I foresee a series of satisfying relationships of varying duration and intensity, after which I retire to Nice and become known in the neighborhood as the iconoclastic woman who turned to pottery at the age of 74.” No, you have to decide that everyone should rethink the idea of faithfulness.
Quite right, of course. A human institution of great antiquity doesn't suit one particularly irritable and difficult-to-live-with liberal, so naturally it must go!

3 comments:

MikeD said...

Ugh... those are the WORST! And they keep popping up periodically. I recall Cass linking to an article where the author said "monogamy doesn't work" because her marriage fell apart (mostly due to her cheating on her husband), so clearly the concept is flawed. /facepalm

Eric Blair said...

Well, consider audience of the original article. They're just getting fed what they want to read.

Texan99 said...

I'm irritable and difficult to live with. I just never thought divorce was a remedy.