Half-Marks for Mrs. Obama

On the one hand, it's great to hear that she'll "be there" for the "next commander in chief." On the other hand:
“Because no matter how we felt going into it, it is important for the health of this nation that we support the commander in chief,” she said, still refusing to use Trump’s name. “Wasn’t done when my husband took office, but we’re going high, and this is what’s best for the country. So we are gonna be there for the next president and do whatever we have to do to make sure that he is successful because if he succeeds, we all succeed.”
I don't think it's at all fair to say that it 'wasn't done when my husband took office.' I remember being in Iraq on 20 January 2009, and we took down George W. Bush's picture from the HQ building and replaced it with Barack Obama's picture. Some, I might add, were quite eager for the replacement. Others were kind of sad about it. Nevertheless, everyone carried on carrying out orders just the same as before.

2 comments:

jaed said...

She seems to me to be accusing, not the military, but the Bushes of failing to "support the commander in chief". I say this because that's the parallel she denies: the Obamas will support Obama's successor as President, but this "wasn't done when my husband took office". But "we're going high", meaning I suppose that she and her husband will do better than their predecessors.

As far as I can tell, the Bushes have basically stayed out of the way and avoided any criticism or undercutting of Obama (or his wife, for that matter). This, it seems, is not good enough, is not "being there for the next president".

Which makes me think the plan is to not stay out of the way and to offer a great deal of public analysis and criticism under the guise of being "supportive", as well as an expectation that they will be consulted often and deferred to. Possibly I am being ungracious in my interpretation, but it does not bode well, to my way of thinking.

Ymar Sakar said...

People think they got rid of Hussein the way they thought they got rid of Kerry. But they'll be back to DC and power, one way or another.

Evil doesn't just go into quiet retirement like Richard Nixon.