Malingering yeast

My bread has been giving me fits, refusing to rise.  I finally read up on proofing commercial dry yeast and discovered that when I add it to some water and a little sugar, I should be getting it to foam so as to double its volume in ten minutes or so.  Well, that hasn't been happening!

I figured, since I was getting at least a little reaction, there must be a few yeasts still alive in there, even if most of the package was on strike.  The inactive ones don't do any harm, so I just kept increasing the total dried yeast until I got a good double-sized proof, and then used the whole batch in the bread.  Voila, a loaf with enough rise to make sandwich bread.




6 comments:

Grim said...

You can also make a 'sponge' by adding sugar and water and just a cup of flour, stirring it all up, and putting it in the refrigerator overnight. If there's any active yeast, it'll breed itself into a foamy mess sooner usually overnight.

You can, of course, also wild-catch yeast. Just leave the sugar/water/flour mix exposed to the open air.

Texan99 said...

Sure, I've done that. I admit, I do it this way because I can have a loaf of bread within 3 hours start to finish, with no lingering duties to babysit the starter for the next few weeks. Also, I haven't ever been able to get a really exuberant rise out of a natural yeast starter: it takes patience and skill.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It's like expired medicine - except with that, you have to worry about side effects if you double up.

douglas said...

Nice problem solving, with delicious looking results!

Gringo said...

How old was your yeast?
I mostly cook flatbreads, which take a lot less time to cook than loaves, and can be cooked in a skillet. Dump stuff on them to make a "pizza."

Texan99 said...

It was a couple of different batches from the grocery store, both with expiration dates in mid-2021. So it wasn't that old, but it may have been mistreated in a warehouse.