Fear

I have been to war three times. I’ve been mortared, rocketed, machine-gunned and shot at with Kalashnikovs. I once stood a bear off its kill to force him to let us pass on a trail. I ride motorcycles almost every day. 

The clear footstep of God is the scariest thing I have ever seen.

When my grandmother was buried, child me asked why anyone would fear God, as the scripture said. I know now. God getting involved is terrifying. 

People say to pray for the nation. I’m not the sort to say things like that. But I am praying. 

4 comments:

J Melcher said...

“The gods' most savage curses come upon us as answers to our own prayers. Prayer is a dangerous business. I believe ... it should be outlawed. ”

J Melcher said...

While quoting Bujold, I offer, too:

“The gods do not grant miracles for our purposes, but for theirs. If you are become their tool, it is for a greater reason, an urgent reason. But you are the tool. You are not the work. Expect to be valued accordingly.”

Grim said...

Things like this make clear that I don't understand the rules. I have to trust in the wisdom of God, because clearly I don't understand what the game is about. I've tried; I've studied, I've read the great thinkers, and I've attempted to structure clear ideas of my own. It has not worked. I must simply trust that God knows what he is doing.

Anonymous said...

Isaias 11:2-3
And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: the spirit of wisdom, and of understanding, the spirit of counsel, and of fortitude, the spirit of knowledge, and of godliness. And he shall be filled with the spirit of the fear of the Lord, He shall not judge according to the sight of the eyes, nor reprove according to the hearing of the ears.