Red Lines

Michael Anton has a new essay that I think is very important because it lines up with a project of my own: the new state of Appalachia, which I someday hope to form out of elements of North Georgia, East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, West Virginia and parts of Western Virginia. No big cities -- even Knoxville and Asheville will be omitted. Just good Highlander country, ideally a near-anarchy governed on voluntary lines such as I've been describing lately.

Anton is a very smart and well-educated guy whom I've met several times and have mentioned more than once before. I don't think he and I have much in common except the occasional idea; and sometimes not even that. But he's definitely worth reading once he sits down and maps something out, whether you end up agreeing with him or not. 

This time, I do. 

7 comments:

Mike Guenther said...

What about NW South Carolina, excluding Greenville/Spartanburg of course.

Grim said...

South Carolina is mostly not mountains, although I guess north of Walhalla it is. We might take the fringe.

Tom said...

I guess Oklahoma is a bit far?

Even out here, though, the biggest three cities are blue splotches in an overwhelmingly red state.

raven said...

Ever notice how the rational for USSC "Reynolds vs Simms" has been inverted? It was supposedly necessary to elect state senators by population, because the cities were under-represented, but now heavy majorities of counties in blue states get ignored.

Single worst USSC decision of my lifetime. Ceded total state control to any city able to attract enough leftists.

Elise said...

"Greater Idaho" is trending:

https://www.businessinsider.com/oregons-rural-counties-search-for-representation-with-idaho-2021-5

Grim said...

Yes, I'm hoping they pull that off. Then we can springboard off success.

Elise said...

I hope so, too, Grim.