Introduction to Aristotle's Ethics at Hillsdale College

Hillsdale College is offering a free course on Aristotle's Ethics, "Introduction to Aristotle's Ethics: How to Lead a Good Life," taught by college president Larry P. Arnn. Here are the topics:
  1. The Good
  2. Aristotle's Politics and the Nature of Man
  3. Happiness
  4. Character
  5. Deliberation and Choice
  6. Courage
  7. Justice
  8. Practical Judgment 
  9. Friendship
  10. Contemplation and Action
The course is open to start whenever you want. There is a forum if you want to post back and forth with others taking the course.

There is a short reading from Aristotle, 2-4 pages or so, for each lecture, and the video lectures take about 30 minutes or so. It seems designed to take about an hour or so per topic.

I'm slowly working my way through it, and it's interesting so far. I would recommend it if, like me, you haven't had much time for studying Aristotle but wish you had.

4 comments:

Grim said...

If you’d like to discuss it beyond what the class entails, I’m qualified to teach Aristotle’s ethics.

Tom said...

Indeed, I thought I'd bring the discussions here just for that reason.

douglas said...

This sounds like a great structure for holding myself to it. Thanks! Plus, I really like listening to Larry Arnn.

Tom said...

Yeah, the structure of it is good for me as well.

I'm on the 3rd lesson now, but I think later this week I'll post something I want to discuss about lesson 1. Maybe we could do a once-a-week thing, in keeping with the easy course pace.