Tetraphobia


A lot of American skyscrapers don’t have a 13th floor, in the sense of a floor with that designation, because the number was thought to be bad luck. 

In East Asia, the number omitted is four. The word for four and the word for death are the same syllable with only a slightly different pronunciation. 

7 comments:

Thomas Doubting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E Hines said...

In Japanese as well. This is also why you don't give gifts in multiples of 4....

Would that rule out place settings for 8, as well? On the other hand, 8 is a lucky number in Chinese, according to some friends of mine, emigres from the PRC and from the RoC.

On the other other hand, 8 is highly infelicitous to the Atevi in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series.

Everybody has issues with numbers.

Eric Hines

Thomas Doubting said...

No, now that I look at what I wrote, I was wrong. It's not multiples at all. I just meant, you don't give 4 of something as a gift. The words for 4 and death are homonyms, that's all. It's not about the number itself.

The Mad Soprano said...

@Thomas Doubting
Both words are pronounced "shi". In fact, Japanese has an alternate word for four---"yon"---which is used more often than "shi".

Korora said...

I've read Ogden Nash's venture into horror "A Tale of the Thirteenth Floor". I wonder, in Chinese and Japanese, is it rendered as the fourth floor?

Thomas Doubting said...

I looked for a way to edit the comment, but can't find one. Since I phrased it in a way that was wrong, I decided to delete it and then just say, don't give 4 of something as a gift in Japan, for the same reason Grim mentions.

Thomas Doubting said...

Indeed. Do you speak Japanese?