Escape from Mordor

You all know the line about how one does not simply walk into Mordor. Well, today it’s flying out that’s not working. 


I did manage to get as far as Virginia, though that wasn’t easy either. The Metro train’s blue/orange/silver lines were down, cutting off both airports that way. The yellow line was still running to Reagan, but it was delayed inexplicably. I finally got to the airport, and even onto an earlier flight to try to dodge the storms, but it was delayed until it was too late. 

Ah, well. Getting home safe is the only thing that matters. If it takes a little longer, that’s not so bad. 

UPDATE: We made it to Charlotte. That was quite a ride. 

There was a tiny baby in arms on the row ahead of me, with her mother and father. She slept perfectly soundly through the roughest airplane ride I’ve ever had. Her mother said she expected the baby to go flying through the air at several points, but she slept quietly through all of it. 

UPDATE: Not going to make it tonight. We flew to Asheville but they turned us around due to fog once we got there. It’s just been a difficult day for travel. 

12 comments:

E Hines said...

Maybe the mother is/was a farmer at the end of a dirt road, and the baby was used to the bumpiness.

Eric Hines

E Hines said...

At any rate, it's good you escaped the Beltway Neighborhood.

Eric Hines

Elise said...

Ah, yes, I remember landing for a stopover in St. Louis during a whole line of thunderstorms. The young man sitting next to me, who made it clear shortly after leaving LA that he wanted no interaction with his seat mate was practically in my lap. He left the plane in St. Louis although I strongly suspect that he, like me, was originally going all the way to New Jersey. I couldn't blame him - I was seriously considering spending the rest of my life in St. Louis. A man who boarded in St. Louis was loudly annoyed the plane wasn't taking off immediately. I almost wish it had just to see his reaction to what it would have been like. I imagine he would have been in my lap, as well.

I'm glad you made it to the ground safely and hope you can find your way home today.

I have no idea why you make these trips to Mordor. I don't know if I should know but have missed the information or if it's a state secret. It must be quite important for you to be willing to go there so often. Even Frodo only went once.

Grim said...

Oh, it’s work that takes me there. I used to have to go quarterly; these days it’s only a couple of times a year. The last two trips were only a month apart, so it seems frequent; I hadn’t been there since the previous January.

Anonymous said...

We got the cold. Very rough air aloft om Thursday with the front that you are dealing with. Now we have pure Arctic air, but the winds are quieter. We are 12F, with lows around 0 for the next three days. We might get above freezing on Wednesday.

LittleRed1

Elise said...

I suppose that's actually what I don't know: what you do "for work".

Grim said...

It’s a nontraditional sort of job, I suppose. I think my semi-official title is “Senior Strategic Advisor.”

raven said...

The term "advisor" pre-supposes someone is willing to listen. Is this a problem in the Land of Orc's?

Grim said...

No, that isn’t the problem. There are plenty of people who want to listen and understand. The problems are ossification and corruption. Trying to work around those problems to accomplish what good remains possible is one of the things people need advice about.

Grim said...

Indeed, I suppose you could explain my career by describing it as a long set of conspiracies to help the United States in spite of itself.

Tom said...

A worthy calling, indeed.

And welcome home!

Elise said...

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting and reassuring that you and your job exist.