Sore Losers are Still Losers

The Abrams campaign prepares a very novel lawsuit to try to force Georgia to hold an entirely new election, since she now appears to have lost the last one.

She's alleging massive voter suppression efforts, but frankly those are not in evidence. Kemp set up a system that could be easily cheated, which is why I've been very critical of his performance as Secretary of State. But if he were going to cheat, he'd have given himself a comfortable margin of victory that would have forestalled this recount/lawsuit approach. He could have cheated, certainly. The evidence strongly suggests that he did not, though he remains at fault for having set up a system in which we can have so little confidence.

Georgia should fix its systems for the next election. All the same, it's time to call this one. He's almost twenty thousand votes ahead of the runoff number, and more than fifty thousand votes ahead of her. That's ballgame.

UPDATE: 'Georgia's governor's race "stolen,"' according to Democrats. The Post author explicitly treats similar Republican claims as "baseless" and "without evidence," while saying these claims are being made on much stronger grounds. I concede Kemp's dubiousness; but I notice that "without evidence" is a stick that the press is increasingly using against conservatives, frequently in error (or often, I suspect, maliciously).

5 comments:

Christopher B said...

Is the system you're referring to the voter roll purge or something else?

Grim said...

No, it’s the electronic voting system itself. This article treats the major problems (scroll to ‘Georgia’):

https://amgreatness.com/2018/09/02/credibility-is-the-currency-how-to-defeat-propaganda/

Christopher B said...

Thanks. I agree with you 100%. That system is asinine. I'm in the Glenn Reynolds paper ballots and magic markers camp (no punch cards).

douglas said...

This is honestly one thing Los Angeles county (maybe the whole state, I don't know) get right. We use InkaVote ballots, which are paper ballots and markers but the ballots insert into a holder so it's really, really difficult to screw up your vote unless you're illiterate. Been using these since I was a kid at least.

E Hines said...

InkaVote looks easily screwed up. Steps 2 and 3 are identical--so I'm supposed to mark my ballot twice? I guess that means I get to split my vote between two candidates for the same office, giving them a half vote each. Cures my inability to choose between them.

Coolio.

Eric Hines