A Fine Manly Day

Today I rose and cooked some of our eggs up for me and my wife, then I went and wrestled tree trunks and a chainsaw to cut up a bunch of firewood for the coming winter. Afterwards, I rode over to the Thunder in the Smokies motorcycle rally.

Held three times a year, this was the 'fall' version that is the final such event for the riding season. It drew quite a large and varied crowd. I rode across Soco Gap into Maggie Valley behind a pack of East Coast Pagans MC members. I was surprised to see them up here, but curious how a coastal MC would handle the mountains. I have to say they merited my respect, as they rode the mountains' curves as well as anyone who does so regularly, using their gearing masterfully to keep the bikes under control. I only saw one of them touch his brakes one time, and the rest of them rode both up and down the gap without any need to refer to them. That's as good a job as I can do myself, and I ride these mountains every day.


Then we got to the rally.   

The beer tent is in the foreground.


It was a friendly crowd, Pagans and Outlaws and a lot of smaller clubs as well as the Legion Riders, the Leatherheads MC (a Firefighter club), and the Iron Order. Everyone was having a good time, and I have rarely received such a respectful treatment from younger riders as I did today.

After that, I took the Blue Ridge Parkway home.

Near Waterrock Knob.

Above the Cherokee boundary lands.

Licklog Gap.

A funny thing happened on the way in to the rally. I rode across the Cherokee boundary lands (not technically a reservation, in spite of the signs they put up that say, "Welcome to the Cherokee Reservation!", because they purchased the land free and clear rather than having it assigned to them by the government). The Eastern Band of Cherokee has decided to allow for recreational marijuana use and sales, and today was apparently the grand opening of their recreational dispensary. There were lots of cars in line to pull in to the dispensary, which included two drive-through lanes as well as a walk-in facility. I did not myself participate except to sit in the heavy traffic. As a consequence of the grand opening, the Cherokee tribal police were out directing traffic to ease the flow around the new dispensary.

I never thought I'd see the day that the police would be officially deployed to help sell marijuana, but here we are. 

No comments: