The Sons of Liberty

Looking for an old quote from Rio Grande, I came across this old post from 2005. I was so confident when I was young.
Things that go south in a serious way will be met with a serious response. We'll form lawful militias to keep order if the government breaks down under disease or disaster. We'll volunteer for government-led efforts if they need us, or form private companies to take care of the jobs the government can't handle.... What comes, comes, but however hard it is we shall stand and fight it. It is our way, as it is our heritage.

We are the Sons of Liberty. We have nothing to fear. When death comes for us, we will pass into that world of which so much has been written, where there is no fear but love and all love is without pain. If we have done our duty, we will leave behind us those we have bred or trained in the ways of America. They will take up our cause and bury our bones, and our names will be their warcry.

There are names like that written in gold, below. The men they trained will give them voice. They are warriors, heroes, and riders of bulls. Perhaps there is a name like that on your lips as you read this: Washington's? Jackson's? Your father's? Another?

So what is there to fear? Live boldly. This is America, the home of the brave.

God give me the strength to finish as I began. I don't mind to die at any time: even today is not too soon. Only let me die in such a way that this younger me would not be ashamed.

4 comments:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

My younger self was an ass, so I'm home free on that account.

Grim said...

Possibly my younger self was also an ass; but he had high ideals, at least, from which I confess I feel alienated now. I wish I still believed as he did.

Eric Blair said...

I think I remember that, because I thought it was too optimistic at the time.

Meh. The more things change, the more they stay the same and all that.

Grim said...

Thank you, by the way, for having stuck around here for so long. Damn few of the people who were reading the Hall in 2005 are still here today; more's the pity, because there were some good folks back in the day.