Better Watch Out

This report that people are 'panic buying' baby chickens reminds me of a story about my grandmother. This was my mother's mother.

One time there was a special deal on baby chicks, so that they could be had for a penny apiece. She bought a dollar's worth, that is a hundred baby chicks, on the assumption that many of them would die before attaining adulthood. As it happened, every single one of those chicks grew into full-grown adult chickens. As a consequence, she had to kill and pluck a hundred chickens that year.

That's the sort of thing that can happen if you don't watch out.

3 comments:

Douglas2/Unknown said...

I suspect the reported 100% increase in sales and the chicks being sold out on the day of delivery to the ag-stores is less to do with "panic buying" and more to do with predictions that movement restrictions may persist through the summer.

We'd like to keep chickens, we care for neighbor's chickens when they are on vacation, we buy our eggs from others who keep chickens. We are familiar with the requirements and the challenges.

What stops us from having chickens is our travel schedule. This year, all of my usual summer contracts for work in various parts of the country and world have for some reason stopped coming.

So my lifestyle has both income-reduction and a vast increase in stay-at-home time, which together seem ripe for chicken-keeping being a practical response. Crops as well.

Grim said...

Yes, I also have suddenly had a 100% reduction in income. I’m planting crops but who knows if I’ll be able to keep my home long enough to harvest them? Everything is different, and I have no idea what to do other than to do as my grandfathers’ fathers would have done. Hopefully it will get better, and thankfully I know how to do it the old way.

ymarsakar said...

Preppers don't have to do anything. Prepare, then hold and survive.

Directives will be released when the chain of command feels they have a grasp on things. The enemy always has a vote, so the timing is not always sure.