Who's stopping you?

I'd reveal the source of this (probably unoriginal) joke if I didn't think it would interfere with its enjoyment:
Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog. 
During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President someday. 
Both of her parents -- liberal Democrats -- were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?" 
She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people." 
Her parents beamed with pride! 
"Wow . . . what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that!" I told her. 
"What do you mean?" she replied. 
So I told her, "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I'll pay you $50.  Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house." 
She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" 
I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party." 
Her parents aren't speaking to me.

6 comments:

Grim said...

I don't know your source, but I heard the same joke from a friend in Canada last week. "Welcome to Canada" apparently works just as well as a punchline.

Ymar Sakar said...

If the homeless guy did that, the unions would come in and pound him into dust for taking work off properly unionized lawn mowers that pay the stipend to the Boss.

If you don't pay a proper cut to the authorities... you're leeching off our preserves here.

DL Sly said...

I've heard/read the same corollary joke in the vein of school grades and being robbed.
Any of them work well to make the point.
Have a blessed Memorial Day one and all.
0>:~}

Ymar Sakar said...

People only learn when it hurts. Physical pain is ephemeral, but emotional pain and pain of the soul, that people remember.

Which is why fairy tales of what it means for life and death to co-exist, are necessary. There is no light without the darkness, yet the light is what we seek, not the darkness. Those that have never seen the difference, are easily converted to goals of evil.

If you don't work, you don't eat. Make it happen. It can't just be a nice idea. Obama is certainly making people work (while he goes on vacation). Don't let the enemies do all the work of creating new soldiers for the next generation.

People will refuse to change until they have some very strong motivations to.

Iain said...

nice, comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

What a cute little story. Make the repuppies feel good about themselves.