Bad Habits

Same band as last night, this time singing about cocaine.



I don't care at all about cocaine -- I'm one of the last Americans to have never done any illegal drug -- but I was wondering about this song for a while. I heard it in this documentary about the Angels, and for a long time I thought it was an ode to BDSM: "everybody take a whip on me!" That turns out not to be the relevant lyric at all. It's an old tune, done by Woodie Guthrie.

By the way, forward that video to 8:24 to hear Jerry Garcia give an ode to bikers. "Is that out front, or what?"

"Are you afraid of them?"

"Sure."

"Why?"

"Because they're scary, man."

2 comments:

Gringo said...

The Woody Guthrie version of "Take a Whiff on Me" reminded me of Flatt & Scruggs's song Salty Dog Blues.

Grim said...

Yes! A fine tune, that one. Here's another one in the genre: The Browns' Ferry Blues.