Foreign Policy: Powell Valediction

Matters of State:

One of my chief complaints with the Bush administration has been that Bush would not force a settlement between his advisors. It's fine to have advisors who disagree, so long as once the boss has made his decision, both sides resolve to follow his lead in full measure.

It is, therefore, with no sadness whatever that I watch the departure of Secretary Powell. Mr. Hitchens seems to share my opinion, by and large. Indeed, his disdain for the man outstrips my own by an order of magnitude.

I could wish for a better replacement: Dr. Rice has never impressed me in her current position, and I am not sure what virtue except loyalty justifies her promotion. The Secretary of State is one of those jobs which cannot accomplish much benefit even if it is done well, but can cause a great deal of harm if it is done badly. Having someone as notoriously indecisive as Dr. Rice in the position is probably not going to work very well. Still, at least she will follow the President, and thereby devote herself to working to undermine our foreign enemies rather than the Department of Defense. So, even if she is a poor choice, she represents an improvement.

No comments: