Hostfest

Our friend Lars Walker is apparently kicking ass and taking names: at least, so I judge from these modest words, taken with his usual aversion to self-promotion.
Another good day for the Vikings yesterday, especially in terms of fighting. I found, to my amazement, that I won most of my fights against much younger, faster opponents. I can only conclude (and Ragnar concurs) that all these years of slogging it out, one on one, with a very good sword fighter have borne fruit in a little actual skill.

I don't expect it to last. The young fighters will learn quickly, and they'll learn my weaknesses faster than anything else. I think I can see it happening even now.
Also this:
We have two young couples in our group this year, one of them newlyweds, and a family with teenage boys. This livens up everything.... The high point of yesterday's fights was when I "killed" the new bridegroom, raised my sword, and shouted, "SHE'S MINE!"
I gather that Hostfest is the Norse-American version of the Stone Mountain Scottish Highland Games, which by the way is coming up later this month. I hope to be there.

Any video, Lars?

7 comments:

Lars Walker said...

I am told that video exists of my epic "She's mine!" fight (taken by the bride, who doubtless secretly wishes it were true). I don't know if she plans to post it anywhere or not. I also have some photos, though the ones I took obviously don't include me. There will be postings of them on my blog once I get my ducks in a row.

Hostfest is rather different from Scottish Games. It's the largest Scandinavian cultural festival in America, bringing in thousands of people every year. Many vendors and exhibitors offer Scandinavian gifts, crafts, and food. My group is there as an educational exhibit. The big draw, it must be admitted, is the music concerts, mostly featuring big name country artists (I don't explain, I just report).

MikeD said...

A question, Lars... you caught his axe IN your shield (not on it)? That sounds remarkably like live steel combat. Is that the case?

Lars Walker said...

Yes, we call it Live Steel Combat. Genuine, unchoreographed fights with blunt blades, by carefully trained participants.

Grim said...

Hostfest is rather different from Scottish Games. It's the largest Scandinavian cultural festival in America, bringing in thousands of people every year. Many vendors and exhibitors offer Scandinavian gifts, crafts, and food. My group is there as an educational exhibit.

To me, it sounds exactly like the Stone Mountain Games, only with Scandinavian stuff instead of Scottish stuff. We do also have the games, but that's just a cultural exhibition (although I suppose they consider themselves to be engaged in a genuine, competitive sport).

We don't have big name bands, though we do have three stages of performances by Scottish or Celtic musicians of various stripes. There's also dancing, drinking, Scottish and British foods, vendors selling Scottish stuff, and a certain number of educational or historical exhibits. I do sword-related displays, and give lectures on medieval Scottish history.

Lars Walker said...

I guess I meant that there's no central athletic competition, as in "games." Hostfest is purely a cultural festival. But yes, in practice it sounds similar.

MikeD said...

Lars, my estimation of you has only increased. Blunted edges or not, carefully trained or not, live steel combat is still incredibly dangerous and carries great personal risk. You are a brave man.

Lars Walker said...

I don't really think of it that way. I've had a few injuries, the worst being a broken finger, but nobody else in my group has suffered anything that bad. I do fear I may be getting a little old for the fun, though.