BB: With Gov't Shut Down, Citizens Must Interfere in Own Lives

One of the primary functions of the government is to ignorantly muck around in the business of others, but the shutdown has hampered that. Thus citizens have been forced to try to fill that void themselves. “Today I just suddenly decided large sodas weren’t allowed,” said Morgan. “It was an annoying, pointless obstacle the whole day—it was like the government was still around.”

“I arbitrarily decided I couldn’t use plastic bags in school lunches,” said Arlene Williams, mother of three. “It was really irritating to deal with. It really made me feel like there was still some bureaucrat out there not caring about me.”
I've imposed Prohibition on myself for the month of January, rather than waiting for Lent like usual. So far I haven't started a criminal organization to smuggle booze, but I suppose there's still time.

2 comments:

raven said...

We will keep an eye out for primer gray '49 Mercs with built engines...

Anonymous said...

The utterly tiresome thing about Californians is their parochialism. Depending on the source of the numbers, the US accounts for 1-10% of the plastic material in the oceans. The rest is from Asia and Africa. Of the total from the US, California's contribution is miniscule.

I know this because I know: 1) This country has three coastlines. 2) Of these three coastlines, California's is by far the cleanest. 3) I know this because I have been there, and observed what the Jersey coastline looks like before the grooming machines are out on weekends, compared to the total lack of artificial grooming in California.

Meanwhile, people from California have now started noticing how dirty the glassware in restaurants really is. And yet, they militantly reject the use of straws, which at least keep people's mouths off the damn glasses!

Valerie